Otago Hockey has held a number of meetings and discussions with various advisory groups following the recent move to Alert Level 2. Following those discussions we can now confirm the following decisions in respect to the conclusion of the 2021 Winter Season.
• Primary School Hockey – School teams will be contacted and offered games on Wednesday Sept 22nd and 29th. These games are totally optional and draw will be done for any teams wanting these games. There will be no additional cost for these games and schools are welcome to include regular players or use as an opportunity for children to get a quick taster of something new. Look out for email from Bonnie or contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org
• Year 7 -8 Hockey – School teams will be contacted and offered games on Friday Sept 24th and Friday 1st October. These games are totally optional and draw will be done for any teams wanting these games. Look out for email from Bonnie or contact her on email@example.com
• Secondary School Hockey – Regrettably the extremely tough decision has been made that the Secondary School Winter Season is finished. Competition winners will be determined by points table. This decision is made on the basis of feeling from schools that preparing teams for finals when exams and summer sport need to be a priority was not in the best interest of their students. Otago Hockey understands the importance of well being and respects this majority decision from our participating schools. Otago Hockey will support any school teams who wish to organise a friendly or the likes of games vs Old Boys/Girls teams etc.
• Club – Finals will be held on 25/26 September. Premier Semi Finals will be played on the evening of Tuesday Sept 21st. Heavily discounted turf hire is available for teams preparing for these finals and can be booked through Bonnie, firstname.lastname@example.org • U13/15 Development programme – These will both restart this week. Allan (U13) and Hymie (U15) are in the process of communicating with participants.
• U13/15 festivals and tournaments - U13 lower South Island festival is confirmed for Sept 18/19 in Dunedin. U15 will play their “warm up” event in Invercargill that weekend before their South Island tournament in Christchurch at start of school holidays.
• National Hockey Championship – This has been confirmed for the rescheduled dates of 14-20 November in Tauranga. Otago will be sending both a Men’s and Women’s team to compete in Tier 1 as well as supporting an Otago Country Men’s team that will compete in the combined Tier2/3.
All activity will be conducted in line with Alert Level settings and restrictions. Further information around the specifics of that for each programme will be communicated to those involved.View More News