*** Due to Covid 19 Alert level movement, all Year 7 -8 Hockey School teams will be contacted and offered games on Friday Sept 24th and Friday 1st October. These games are totally optional and a draw will be done for any teams wanting these games. Look out for an email from Bonnie or contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org***
Kwik Sticks (year 7&8)
Small Sticks is the nationally branded junior hockey participation programme developed by Hockey New Zealand in consultation with youth sport experts.
Otago Hockey’s aim is for all children involved in Junior Hockey to develop their individual and team skills, share the enjoyment of taking part in a team game and build a lifelong enthusiasm for Hockey and therefore supports the direction of Hockey NZ and it's plans for the Kwik Sticks Competition.
Small Sticks is based on the belief that small-sided games:
• Require fewer players per team and offer participants full involvement, increased touches of the ball and greater skill development
• Are enjoyable to play for participants of both genders, of all ages and hockey abilities
• Teach common skills and tactics to make the transition to 11v11 field hockey easier
• Introduce development opportunities for playing, umpiring, coaching, managing and leading within hockey
• Are not reliant on full complement hockey facilities or equipment and can be played on fields of various sizes and surfaces
• Aligns to the Balance is Better philosophy offering greater enjoyment leading to higher
Key benefits of modified games are:
• More touches on the ball which means more opportunities for development and more goals!
• Promotes instinctive/creative play
• Less players on the field, therefore less complicated decision making.
• Modified equipment and field size – scaled down from the adult version to grow with the
• Modified Rules - By reducing stoppages, maximising involvement, and minimising risks creates a safe, flowing game resulting in a quality experience.
More touches of the Ball + More Involvement = Better Skill Development
We are offering the options of Boys, Girls and Mixed teams (minimum of 3 girls on the field at any one time) this season in 3 different grades with the goal of having as evenly matched teams playing each other as possible.
Matches are played on the all weather artificial turf at the McMillan Hockey Centre and the Kings High School Turf starting on the 14th of May and runs through until the 27th of August.
Kwik Sticks games are played on a Friday afternoon and evening between 4.00pm- 7.30pm with times to be determined based on entry numbers.
Team registrations are now closed - please contact Bonnie at email@example.com if you would like to play.
If your child's school is not participating and they would like to join a team, please get in touch with the Competitions Manager-Bonnie Gradwell at firstname.lastname@example.org
All important information regarding our competitions are found in the Junior 2021 Competition Handbook here.
Please ensure ALL team's coaches and/or team managers have read this handbook prior to the competition commencing so that they fully understand the rules/health and safety obligations and expectations.
Any questions regarding the competitions please contact Bonnie on email@example.com
For more information on the national Small Sticks Programme, please click here.